Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Creating A Form

Share Our most recent assignment involved creating a form. We first used JotForm.com to create a form that automatically emailed us the response to our questions. We are using this for feedback for our websites.

The second half of our assignment was to create a form from scratch. This was ironic to me, because earlier this week I was presented with an interesting project for a website I manage for a local business. The site needed to be completely re-done, and the design part was over. It was now time for the functionality. I had written two pieces of code that involved forms. The first was similar to what JotForm.com does. People submit information, and an email goes out to a specified email address. The second code I had to write was to give users directions to the business. The user would have to submit a street address, state and zip code, and the form would take that information and use it to generate MapQuest directions to the business address.

Writing the code that controls where the information in the form goes was the difficult part. While I've done some programming in the past, I still have a long way to go with PHP. PHP is a programming language that only the server can read, and is often times used to generate HTML code. After a few hours, however, I was successful, and am taking this opportunity to put the code into beta testing.

Please see my forms page: http://ceweb.uml.edu/lread13722/form.html

4 comments:

  1. I visited your forms page and rated it. Good work with your web site. I enjoyed how you set it up differently and how you made the form for directions. Do you create web sites often? This is my first time doing anything like this, so I am very impressed with how you were able to do it on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I used to do web design, more as a hobby than anything else. I'm not as good with the whole design part... However, to me, code is poetry. I am starting to work on my website again for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that I miss it for some reason. The other reason is that if you can find the clients, it can be quite fruitful. I'm actually getting an entire 3/4 sleeve tattoo for free in exchange for a website. Full price for the tattoo would be over $1,000... Time spent on making the website? 20 hours or less. Maybe if I finish my website I'll post it and ask for feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on the website Leo! I think it is great that you can use the information you learn in this class in your career. It is always good to learn new things as we further our careers. I also think your making a great trade for your service and tatoo! Tatoos are really expensive and your skills are allowing you to save yourself some serious cash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jeanette! I love to barter, as both parties typically save money. When I was working at a pizza place in high school, I was regularly sent to negotiate with the nearby ice cream shop to trade pizza for ice cream. :-p

    ReplyDelete