There were three things of true interest:
A fortune from a fortune cookie
A card from my high school guidance counselor
A card from a family friend
The fortune cookie simply reads, "Music will be a very important part of your life." I know what you're thinking.... Music is an important part of almost anybody's life. While this is true, it still serves as a reminder that music is something more to me. Music has always, and will forever be there when I need it the most. When my entire life falls to the ground and I have nothing left, I'll have music to pick me up again.
My high school counselor and I had a strange bond. We shared a lot of views. I remember sitting in his office for hours just talking about life, and the importance/impact of our decisions on an individual, regional, national and global level. We talked about anything and everything, and I truly feel that the majority of the education I received in high school came directly from this man. This card was a "thank you," card that he sent for a gift I presented to him at graduation. In this eloquent, hand-written card, he said, "Thank you for being you. I don't have to tell you what is on my mind, because you already know. You are a special person as well as my 'alter-ego. I know success will follow you wherever you go. Just remember our 'talks.'" Short, sweet, and from the heart - exactly his style. I am saddened to have lost touch, and fear it may be too late. I've heard rumor that his health is quickly declining, and I hope to soon check on his status.
The card from a family friend had a similar theme, as it was a graduation gift. Before I explain that card, I am going to try to paint a picture for you: Short, stocky, gray-haired biker with more tattoos than bare skin, a ponytail and a mustache. This man walks with a limp, has a deep raspy voice, and looks like he eats small children as a snack. He is also the man that took me on my first organized motorcycle ride, alongside my father. I had only known him for a year at that point, and it was around the same time that he gave me this card. He took me under his wing, and helped me become more comfortable with riding. He also wasn't afraid to share stories or his seemingly endless knowledge. He had amazing insight on most situations, and was a man that truly learned from his experiences. His goal was to help me learn from his mistakes rather than letting me make them on my own.
The card read: "From your first step to where you are right now has been about making choices. The most important choice you have made in your young life was to finish school. Most kids make the choice to quit and run, but you made the choice to stay and graduate, and for that I am extremely proud of you and respect your courage to tough it out. Leo, you will always have my respect for that. The second choice you have made right was to be a good son and follow your heart in your music.
Never quit, ask for help when unsure, and always trust in your gut and family; they will never let you down. Good luck in your choices for the future. I am proud, young brother, to call you, 'friend.'"
When I first read this card, I was only able to read about half of it. This was probably the most touching thing I had ever read. This was coming from a man that I truly respect and love above most other people, and it would have been terrifying to let him see me shed a tear. I find myself, even now, shaken up by reading this card.
I've been extremely blessed to have a lot of loving people in my life. They support me through thick and thin, and they are essentially the foundation of who I am today. It's now my turn to take the steps that will make me a man, and make the person I want to be tomorrow. With their guidance and support, I cannot fail.
This is my pledge, my call to action: I will never again let myself lose sight of what's important. I have always loved music and will never again turn my back on it. My roots are what keep me grounded. I will turn to these sources of strength, courage and hope when I struggle, and I will forever fight to stay on top. I will ask them for help when I need it, even if it slightly bruises my ego. These people who have always had undying faith in me will not be let down, and I will prove them right. I will continue to follow my heart, I will be successful, and I will make them proud to have been a part of it, wherever they may be.
No comments:
Post a Comment