Traditionally, publishers take a risk by producing a set number of copies of a book, and track the sales. Now, with Ebooks, a publisher has the option of releasing an electronic only copy, which saves them a lot of money, and reduces the financial risk. This will also allow for more writers to have their works published. Another way of creating an income for this is through advertising. Books traditionally don't have advertisements in them. However, with Ebooks, you have room to do so. Authors tend to write descriptive passages, such as "Ken then opened an ice cold Budweiser, and sat in his Lazy-Boy." Advertisers could link Budweiser and Lazy-Boy to their respective websites. This would also allow marketers to track the click-through and calculate real ROI numbers from it. Finally, that opens up more opportunities for authors. Authors may begin to negotiate with companies to include their brand in the story, allowing the author to earn more money, and in turn, allowing the author to continue writing.
I noticed a lot of people are using Ebooks now. When I went on vacation I saw a lot of people traveling with iPads or Kindles. I think it is a great idea. You don't have to sacrafice the book you want to bring because it is too large. Also, if you start one and don't like it, you can just pick another. I don't know much about Ebooks, but I wonder how it will effect libraries? Can you rent a book like a movie on demand and only have it for a specificed period of time?
ReplyDeleteThey will have to pry my hardcover books out of my tightly clenched fists. I just can't get excited over the latest internet innovations. I love browsing book sales and finding old weathered volumes that someone else once treasured. I have many early editions of books that I enjoy reading and rereading. And don't even think of taking away my morning newspaper - you don't have to worry about spilling coffee on it the way you would a laptop. Are you already in possession of a kindle, iphone, and any other of the newest items to come out?
ReplyDeleteI am, in fact, the owner of an iPhone. I do use my iPhone for many things; reading books is just not one of them. I, along with you, am a huge fan of hardcover books. One of the many things I do use my iPhone for is social networking sites, which, in a way, brings the news to me. I've never been one for newspapers though.
ReplyDeleteAs far as getting things when they're new, I tend to avoid that. I'd rather let companies work the bugs out, and also purchase the items at a discounted price. I have an iPhone 3G, which I purchased when the iPhone 3Gs went on sale. The price for the regular iPhone 3G dropped by $150 when the 3Gs was available for sale... ;)